Depleted Tees go down as indiscipline proves costly

Thurrock 12 Camberley 17

Report provided by Ralph Henderson MBS

THURROCK, still nursing some 15 injuries, narrowly lost out to League leaders Camberley on Saturday.

Oakfield was resplendent as the hosts kicked off on a bright ,autumn day at this picturesque venue.

The early exchanges saw a bright opening from the home team ,for whom the versatile Alex Jones was making his landmark 100th appearance. Jake Barrand put in some magnificent left -footed clearances before the restored Tom Pool exploded into action. After a couple of forays into the Camberley half, Thurrock were penalised, not for the first time this season and were driven deep into their own half.

From a set-piece move giant wing Jayde Cruickshank was unstoppable as he crashed over . There was  then some controversy as the referee over-ruled the touch judges and gave the conversion!

Shortly afterwards Camberley extended their lead with a penalty, before Thurrock made their exertions pay off. First to make an impression was Jake Bedding,who refreshed from a mid-season break, started to display his old guile and sparkle!

A couple of scintillating side-stepping breaks saw Thurrock drive deep into the opposition half and with slightly quicker support, both would have brought deserved scores.

Next Niall Clifford burst into the line and ,with his customary power and diligence scored an excellent try to bring Thurrock right back into the game. Clifford,with his timely interventions was coming more and more into the game and it seemed inevitable that Thurrock would go into the lead. Unfortunately a bit of indiscipline undid all the good work!

A yellow card saw Thurrock reduced to 14 men and Camberley took full advantage adding a second try which was converted to extend their lead.
Thurrock came storming back with their own driving try to bringing the match within one score. However, the penalty count was beginning to mount up and yet another yellow card completely undermined Thurrock’s attempts to get the winning score.

In truth the match “petered out”at this stage with the home side failing to get any real traction or momentum in order to influence either the outcome or the referee. The Thurrock “faithful” went home contemplating the cost of yet again “snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory”.