Dockers at the double with derby success

Members of the Thurrock Branch of the National Autistic Society with Aveley players,

Aveley 1 Tilbury 3

TILBURY took the borough derby bragging rights as they completed a second Bostik North win of the season against Aveley at Parkside on Saturday.

However, there was some measure of consolation for Aveley as results elsewhere confirmed their place in the end of season promotion-play-offs. There was also warm praise for the Millers from youngsters they invited to share the day with Ryan FC Reds U12s – who were mascots – and members of the Thurrock Branch of the National Autistic Society.

Dockers gave a debut to midfielder Harry Watkins who was signed on deadline day while Aveley decided against introducing their deadline day signing, towering centre half Adam Bailey-Dennis.

Ryan Reds U12s enjoyed their day with the Millers at Parkside.

Tilbury started brightly with Lance Akins heading just wide from 10 yards, before Rhys Madden was called upon to save on the line, when it looked like Aveley would open the scoring. The visitors started playing some good football and took the lead on 28 when a good move on the right saw the ball fall to Oli Spooner who controlled well before shooting past Lamar Johnson, another recent recruit to the Millers ranks.

Tilbury made it 2-0 soon after, when the impressive Kris Newby sent a cross field ball to leading scorer Lewis Smith who cut inside and shot in to the corner of the net giving Johnson no chance.

Just before the break Joe Burgess who had just received a yellow card, gave away a needless penalty, which Aveley’s Sam Bantick smashed home.

Aveley came out after the break strongly, with Bantick going close when he sent his punt just wide.

Outstanding save

On 72 Tilbury went close to increasing the lead when George Sykes ran through, beat a defender and Johnson made an outstanding save.

Three minutes later, with Lewis Smith receiving some unwanted comments, created the winning goal, when he ran down the line and with some unbelievable skills, took out 2 defenders and sent the ball across to Oli Spooner to hit home, to make it 3-1.

Aveley continued to push forward, seeing Ryan Boswell clearing off the line and Madden making a great save.

Spooner was close to getting his hat-trick on 84 when Johnson saved well.
In the final few minutes Tilbury looked to increase the lead with Spooner and Sykes linking up well and Sykes’ effort was cleared off the line and then some good skill from George Sykes seeing his shot bounce off the post and away to safety.

In the fifth minute of added time Madden was again called upon to save well.