Grays suffer at Barking

Grays open the scoring at Barking

Barking 3, Grays Athletic 1

DESPITE taking an early lead Grays suffered a disappointing Bostik North defeat at Mayesbrook Park on Saturday where the home side recorded their first win of the season.

That looked most unlikely when goalkeeper Lamar Joseph set up a Grays counter-attack on five minutes with a long throw  that was picked up by picked up by Sulley Zuhdu whose shot took a deflection off Barking’s Billy Jones who was credited with an own goal.

Barking were far from disheartened and responded well, with Jay Knight going close to an equalizer before one finally arrived in the 17th minute when one time Grays player Knight was set free and showed great composure on the ball to pick his spot and slot it past Johnson.

And the home side were to take the lead in spectacular fashion on 22 minutes when Theo Ola was fouled on the edge of the box and he picked himself up to fire home the free kick from 20 yards.

Barking took the lead into the break but found themselves under a lot of pressure on the resumption as Grays tried hard to find an equaliser. Zuhdu went closest when he was put through, but shot wide.

Eventually the impetus faded from the visitors and the home side again took the ascendency, eventually extending their lead  just before the hour when Ola went on a great run that brought him the chance to score, but he unselfishly passed to the better-placed dan Gilchrist who ensured the favour wasn’t unrewarded by hitting the net.

In the closing stages Grays substitute Kiernan Mason-Hughes came closest to getting a goal back with a shot that came back of the woodwork and a well-struck effort from Kieran Bishop brought a good save from Ollie Bowles but in the end the home side were able to celebrate a deserved victory.



I am text block. Click edit button to change this text. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.